We get it, social media is overwhelming and it can be challenging to keep up with the ins and outs of this ever-changing landscape. Many people know social media is important, but not everyone recognizes how important it has become for businesses of all sizes. Whether you’re just starting out in social media marketing or you’re a pro – it doesn’t hurt to take a refresher course on some of the most common social media mistakes and how you can avoid them.
The most common social media mistakes we see are as follows:
- Not being human – Online social media users are savvy enough in this day and age to spot robots and automated social posts. Be human in your posting and replies, respond as if you were actually talking to someone in person. Use emotion and work just as hard to connect with your online fan base as well as you do with your in-person customers.
- Not Joining the Party – We talk about this all the time, but it’s true – social media is more than just posting. Join the party! Connect with your fans and customers, join discussions, use relevant hashtags, comment, like, and share great content, and genuinely connect with fans online.
- Taking it too seriously – Social media is not usually the right place to hold philosophical discussions, political arguments, write lengthy treatises, and it is definitely not the place to be overly sales-y. Social media is meant to be fun and is a great place to engage with your consumers and build your brand.
- Not taking it seriously enough – That being said, social media is an incredibly viable and effective way to market your business or product. Social media marketing should not be left to your intern, but rather be a piece of your comprehensive marketing plan. Companies big and small have recognized the value of social media marketing and are absolutely including it as a serious piece of their digital marketing plan.
- Mistakes and typos – Unfortunately, we see this all the time. Yes, we’re human and we get it. But it’s imperative that you pay attention. Be sure to proofread your posts, check your grammar, and put forth great content. Your social media presence represents your brand and will leave customers with a lasting impression. Taking the time and energy to post worthwhile content is a valuable investment.
- Under-posting – Social media marketing often falls to the backburner for busy business owners, but it’s dangerous to fall into this habit. Under-posting can reduce your organic reach – or the number of people seeing your posts. Consistent posting is key to keeping your reach up.
- Over-posting – It’s critical to know your audience and post the right amount. We just mentioned under-posting is dangerous, but over-posting is too because you run the risk of annoying your audience. If you annoy them too much, they may unfollow you.
- Hashtag misuse – We get tons of questions about hashtags, they are powerful to help spread your message, but using them wrong is noticeable. Be sure to use relevant hashtags – keywords you want your customers or fans to know you for – and don’t overuse them. Choose a handful of hashtags that represent your business well and use them in your posting on appropriate platforms.
- Ignoring your data – Facebook and other social media accounts provide tons of insights and analytics into how your social posts and marketing campaigns are working. Ignoring your social media data is one of the big social media mistakes we see. Use this information to inform your plans, content, and paid advertising campaigns.
- Getting too personal – Your business page should be treated as such, keep your personal posts and opinions off your business page.
- Trying to do too much – As with any piece of your business, social media marketing will suffer if you do not give it the attention it deserves. If you need to take something off your plate, ask for help! Aspen Grove Marketing can help you find the right balance to get the most out of your social media.
As you plan your social media strategy and execute it, don’t fall into the trap of making these social media mistakes.
Need help with your social media strategy and implementation? Aspen Grove Marketing is your Fort Collins digital marketing agency! We’ll help your business make social media marketing an extension of your traditional marketing plan and ensure it’s done right. We’ll help you avoid social media mistakes and make the most of your digital marketing. Contact us for a consultation or to learn more about our digital marketing services.