Search Engine Optimization (SEO) refers to the practice of updating and maintaining a website in a way that will make it easier for search engines such as Google to find your site, and ultimately allow customers or users to find you. SEO has become increasingly complex as the nature of search engines become more sophisticated. This handy SEO basics guide from Aspen Grove Marketing will help you understand this unique lingo and what everyone is talking about when they discuss SEO:
- SEO – Search Engine Optimization means updating and improving your site and online presence to help the site come up near the top in Google and Bing searches.
- Search Rank – This refers to the place your website comes up in a list of search engine results. Research has shown that users often do not go past the first page of listings and the closer a site is to the top of the list, the most likely it will be clicked. Our goal is always a #1 search rank, but anything from #1-10 is desirable.
- Keywords – Keywords and phrases are the core services, products, and descriptors of your business that searchers will use when trying to find you.
- Keyword Density – This refers to the number of times your main keywords appear on your site. Based on how search engines work, the density must be a balance; too many keywords will flag your site as trying to cheat the system, but infrequent use of keywords will hurt your search rank.
- Optimization – This refers to any task or change that is made that will better position your website in search engine results.
- Search Engines – While there are many search engines out there, we will focus our SEO efforts on the most-widely used including: Google, Yahoo, and Bing.
- SEO Campaign – This refers to all of the activities we do initially and on an ongoing basis to improve your search rank.
- Conversions – Website visitors who are converted to either a sale, phone call, or other action that will ultimately support the business in a positive way.
Now that you know the SEO basics, try your hand at optimizing your blogs! Start by learning to optimize blog posts with this guide and stay tuned for other SEO pointers from Aspen Grove Marketing.
If you need help with website or blog optimization, please contact us! We’d be happy to provide SEO consultation or manage your website’s search engine optimization efforts.