The holiday season is an important time for nonprofits to collect donations and connect with the community. In fact, more than half of surveyed nonprofits reported that in 2017 they received as much as half of their donations between October and December annually. One, relatively new, but critical piece of a nonprofit marketing strategy should be to leverage well-established online holiday giving campaigns.
Two of the biggest online holiday giving campaigns for Colorado nonprofits include: #GivingTuesday on November 27, 2018 (always the Tuesday after Thanksgiving) and Colorado Gives Day on December 4, 2018 for Colorado nonprofits.
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration in which nonprofits and influencers work together to encourage people around the world to contribute to the organizations supporting our communities.
Colorado Gives Day is an annual statewide movement designed to celebrate and increase philanthropy in Colorado through online giving. Donations are accepted through ColoradoGives.org and added incentives dramatically increase giving in Colorado.
Use these tips to help your nonprofit participate and capitalize on these online giving campaigns:
- Register your nonprofit: For Colorado Gives Day, your nonprofit must register in advance to participate in order to have a unique donation page on their ColoradoGives.org website. #GivingTuesday allows nonprofits to register through their site at any time; your nonprofit will appear in a directory for guests searching for organizations near them.
- Utilize their toolkits: Both Colorado Gives Day and #GivingTuesday offer tool kits for nonprofits with logos, social media posts, and information to help your nonprofit take advantage of. Use these resources to help get the word out about your campaign.
- Create a campaign: Rather than just putting up a simple social post on the day of, begin to solicit support several days or even weeks before #GivingTuesday and Colorado Gives Day. Create a unique message and with custom imagery that is shared across your nonprofit marketing channels, giving people notice of the campaign and reminding them leading up to it.
- Share with your followers: Don’t forget to mention to your fans and supporters you are participating in holiday giving campaigns. Share the news on your social channels, email newsletters, and website. Include links to your donation platform and encourage your supporters to donate this way.
- Create goals: In order to get the most of these online giving campaigns, create goals around these events in your nonprofit marketing strategy. These goals may include: a set number of posts, a donation benchmark, or engagement results to track your success. Build on this growth year after year.
- Thank donors: After each online giving campaign, don’t forget to thank you donors and participants for their participation. A simple thank you goes a long way in encouraging continued support.
Would you like to learn more about how your nonprofit can better leverage online giving campaigns such as Colorado Gives Day or Giving Tuesday? Contact us! We’d be happy to help you incorporate and capitalize on online holiday giving campaigns as an important piece of your overall nonprofit marketing strategy.